About the Relief Fund
In light of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, Chicago Tech Academy has created a temporary relief fund to meet the needs of our current students, alumni, and their families. The goal is to reach those in our community most in need in these extraordinary times to provide them with additional funds to cover necessary costs, such as food, toiletries, clothes, shelter, communication, etc. Our school’s core values are to engage, empower, and connect. We do not believe we are living those values nor our mission if we do not work now to help ensure the health and safety of our students and families, just as we would in any circumstance.
The fund is generously and solely financed by private donations. Donations received for this fund will be accounted and tracked separately. Funds disbursed shall not exceed the amount of donations specifically directed toward this relief fund. In general, these funds will be items that are requested/needed by the students and families (i.e. hot spots, cleaning kits, masks, sanitizer, payment of cell phone bill, or gift card). In most cases the value shall not to exceed $100 but in no case will it exceed $500.
The Relief Fund will be managed by Tiara Wheatley, Senior Director of Philanthropy and Community Engagement, (Fund Manager) in accordance with this policy and in alignment with the mission and goals of Chicago Tech Academy.
All current students, alumni, and their families are eligible. No one on the review committee or their family is eligible. Any person found to have a conflict of interest will also be disqualified.
- Once we are notified of eligible person(s) that may be in need an application will be given to them to complete.
- The short application will be completed on paper or online by a student, staff, alumni, or guardian that is at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Applications will be reviewed within 2 days by a staff committee of 3 individuals, led by the fund manager.
- Approval or denial must be decided by a majority vote of the committee.
- The funding amount and type must be decided by a majority vote of the committee
- The fund manager will notify the applicants of the decisions of the committee within 24 hours of the decision being made.
- The fund manager will arrange for the funds (or gift card, or specific items, as the case may be) to reach the recipient and will confirm receipt.
- The fund manager will monitor the funds and their recipients. The manager will check in to confirm receipt and to ensure generally that funds were used for the stated purpose.
- A special account code for the Relief Fund revenue and expenses shall be set up to ensure that revenue and expenses are tracked separately.
- As this program is temporary, this fund shall end on December 31, 2020 unless extended by Board approval. Any funds remaining at the cessation of this effort will first be offered to be returned to the donor and then, should no response be given or the donor chooses, the funds will be returned to the general revenue of Chicago Tech.